Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 791147

Complications of ESIN osteosynthesis-Experience in 270 patients

Bukvić, Nado; Marinović, Marin; Bakota, Bore; Bosak Veršić, Ana; Karlo, Robert; Kvesić, Ante; Gusić, Nadomir; Čoklo, Miran; Bukvić, Frane
Complications of ESIN osteosynthesis-Experience in 270 patients // Injury, 46 (2015), S6; S40-S43 doi:10.1016/j.injury.2015.10.042 (međunarodna recenzija, članak, znanstveni)

Complications of ESIN osteosynthesis-Experience in 270 patients

Bukvić, Nado ; Marinović, Marin ; Bakota, Bore ; Bosak Veršić, Ana ; Karlo, Robert ; Kvesić, Ante ; Gusić, Nadomir ; Čoklo, Miran ; Bukvić, Frane

Injury (0020-1383) 46 (2015), S6; S40-S43

Vrsta, podvrsta i kategorija rada
Radovi u časopisima, članak, znanstveni

Ključne riječi
Children; Complication; ESIN osteosynthesis

Elastic stable intramedullary nailing (ESIN) osteosynthesis has been used in our department for the treatment of long-bone fractures in children and adolescents for more than 17 years. During this period we have shown that ESIN has several advantages compared with other methods of treatment. However, as with every other method, ESIN has its drawbacks and complications. These occur primarily if indication criteria are not respected or ESIN technique is inadequate. This paper presents the rate of complications that occurred with this method in our patients, and the means of prevention and treatment of these complications. A total of 270 patients treated with ESIN osteosynthesis for fractures of long bones of the extremities completed treatment. The study was conducted at the Department of Child Surgery and Orthopaedics of the Clinical Hospital Centre in Rijeka. All the Nancy Nails used in the study were of the same quality, from one manufacturer and were applied using the standard ESIN technique. In 228 patients (84%), ESIN was the primary treatment, whereas in the remaining 42 patients (16%), ESIN was applied after an attempt at manual reposition and immobilisation of bone fragments. All patients had control radiography at least three times and postoperative monitoring was conducted for at least two years. A total of 35 of the 270 observed patients developed complications ; some patients had several complications. There were 53 early intraoperational complications and 29 late postoperative complications. All complications resolved with appropriate therapy. The treatment was satisfactory in all patients except those with an elongation of the extremity (leg) of more than 1cm. Postoperative complications related to the ESIN method of osteosynthesis in the patients in this study were detected by radiological control examinations and long-term clinical monitoring. All the complications of ESIN were relatively easy to treat with current medical methods. The frequency of particular complications is significantly reduced if indication criteria for ESIN are respected and correct ESIN technique is used.

Izvorni jezik

Znanstvena područja
Kliničke medicinske znanosti

S.I.: A Croatian perspective and international cooperation ; Bore Bakota i Mario Starešinić(ur.).


Imunološki zavod d.d.,
Medicinski fakultet, Rijeka,
Opća bolnica Zadar,
Opća bolnica Pula,
Institut za antropologiju,
Klinički bolnički centar Rijeka,
Opća bolnica Karlovac

Časopis indeksira:

  • Current Contents Connect (CCC)
  • Web of Science Core Collection (WoSCC)
    • Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXP)
    • SCI-EXP, SSCI i/ili A&HCI
  • Scopus