Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 763091

Microbial biofilm on laryngeal voice prosthetic devices


Tićac, Brigita; Rukavina, Tomislav; Tićac, Robert
Microbial biofilm on laryngeal voice prosthetic devices // 22nd European Congress of Clinical Microbriology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID 2012), London, United Kingdom, 31.03. – 3.04. 2012
London, 2012. (poster, međunarodna recenzija, sažetak, stručni)


Naslov
Microbial biofilm on laryngeal voice prosthetic devices

Autori
Tićac, Brigita ; Rukavina, Tomislav ; Tićac, Robert

Vrsta, podvrsta i kategorija rada
Sažeci sa skupova, sažetak, stručni

Izvornik
22nd European Congress of Clinical Microbriology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID 2012), London, United Kingdom, 31.03. – 3.04. 2012 / - London, 2012

Skup
22nd ECCMID

Mjesto i datum
London, United Kingdom, 31.03. – 3.04. 2012

Vrsta sudjelovanja
Poster

Vrsta recenzije
Međunarodna recenzija

Ključne riječi
Microorganisms; biofilm; voice prostheses

Sažetak
Objectives:The durability of voice prostheses after their implantation is variable, and the most frequent reason for replacing a voice prosthesis is leakage of fluids into the trachea due to valve insufficiency, which mainly is caused by biofilm formation. The physiological flora of the neopharynx and the tracheostoma created in laryngectomized patients are predisposing factors for adherence of microorganisms to the surface of voice prostheses. The aim of this presentation was to characterize with great precision the presence of individual microorganisms and the most frequent microbial combinations in the biofilm of the indwelling voice prosthesis in situ. Methods:The study was performed by retrospective analysis of data archived at medical documentation of the Clinical Medical Centre and the Teaching Institute of Public Health in Rijeka. During the analyzed period, voice rehabilitation in laryngectomized patients was performed by implanting a Provox2 voice prostheses (Provox2 ; Atos Medical AB, Sweden). In total 100 implanted prostheses were microbiologically processed. The biofilm was removed from the valve by scraping and rigorous homogenization in saline. The composition of the microflora found in the biofilm was determined by plating 0.1 mL of the homogenate on nutritional substrates for cultivation of fungi Sabouraud agar, chromagar Candida plate (CHROMagar™Candida, BD Diagnostics, USA), and the blood agar for the culture of bacteria. Identification of isolated strains was performed using standard laboratory protocols and commercial kits (API bioMerieux, France). Results:Out of the total of 292 isolates, 67% were bacteria and the remaining 33% were yeasts. Simultaneous presence of bacteria and fungi was established in 83% of the processed voice prostheses ; in 16% of samples the biofilm contained only one or more bacterial species.The most frequently found yeast species on voice prostheses biofilms was C. albicans, followed by C. krusei and C. tropicalis. The most frequently isolated bacteria included Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis and Streptococcus agalactiae. The median lifetime of the voice prosthetic devices was 180 days. Conclusion:Dividing the prostheses in 4 groups according to the composition of biofilm revealed that the device lifetimes varied significantly between groups. The longest lifetime of voice prostheses was associated with the presence of single fungal isolate in combination with bacteria.

Izvorni jezik
Engleski



POVEZANOST RADA


Ustanove
Medicinski fakultet, Rijeka