Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 592655

Franciscan Church of St. John the Baptist


Zajec, Vlasta; Repanić-Braun, Mirjana
Franciscan Church of St. John the Baptist, 2010. (virtualni muzej, katalog).


Naslov
Franciscan Church of St. John the Baptist

Autori
Zajec, Vlasta ; Repanić-Braun, Mirjana

Izvornik
Discover Baroque Art, Museum with No Frontiers

Vrsta, podvrsta
Ostale vrste radova, virtualni muzej, katalog

Godina
2010

Ključne riječi
Baroque; 17th Century; 18th Century; architecture; sculpture; stucco; Varaždin; Peter Rabba; Kristofor Zettl; Franjo Kristof Reiss; Ivan Adam Rosemberger; Joseph Antonio Quadrio; Ivan Krstitelj Ranger

Sažetak
Peter Rabba of Graz built the Early Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist on the foundations of an older church, on the site of the Franciscan Monastery in Varaždin, reconstructed in 1626. In the harmonious Early Baroque space of the Church of St. John the Baptist there are a number of valuable woodcarvings illustrating important phases of the art form in northern Croatia during the Baroque period. The pulpit (1675) – a long and richly articulated item with statues of Christ and the apostles in niches – is a consummate example of Late Mannerist wood carving and one of only a few preserved monumentally founded 17th-century pulpits in Croatia. The monumental three-part altar (1700–1702), built according to the designs of the Franciscan, Kristofor Zettl of Munich, fills the chancel completely. The skilled perspective foreshortening of the niches, concluded by coffered vaulting, complement the spaciousness of the altar architecture. The sculptures are by the Maribor sculptor, Franjo Kristof Reiss. In the side-chapels there are five altars built during the 1740s, which by stylistic analysis, are attributable to Ivan Adam Rosemberger, Varaždin's principal sculptor at the time. The sculpture of the altars of St. Anthony of Padua (1725) and Our Lady of the Scapular (1735–1745), on the other hand, show a kinship with the work of Ivan Matija Leitner, a sculptor from Bavaria who had a workshop in Graz. The aforementioned altars are found within two chapels decorated by the Styrian stucco master, Joseph Antonio Quadrio. The Paulist painter, Ivan Krstitelj Ranger decorated the monastery apothecary in 1750 – the central scene of this work shows Mary as Queen of the Universe surrounded by allegorical depictions of the Four Continents and Four Elements.

Izvorni jezik
Engleski

Znanstvena područja
Povijest umjetnosti



POVEZANOST RADA


Projekt / tema
020-0202685-2700 - Barok, klasicizam, historicizam u sakralnoj umjetnosti kontinentalne Hrvatske (Mirjana Repanić-Braun, )

Ustanove
Institut za povijest umjetnosti, Zagreb