Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 368181

Trends in myocardial infarction in Middle Dalmatia during the war in Croatia


Mirić, Dinko; Giunio, Lovel; Božić, Ivo; Fabijanić, Damir; Martinović, Dušanka; Čulić, Viktor
Trends in myocardial infarction in Middle Dalmatia during the war in Croatia // Military medicine, 166 (2001), 5; 419-421 (recenziran, članak, stručni)


Naslov
Trends in myocardial infarction in Middle Dalmatia during the war in Croatia

Autori
Mirić, Dinko ; Giunio, Lovel ; Božić, Ivo ; Fabijanić, Damir ; Martinović, Dušanka ; Čulić, Viktor

Izvornik
Military medicine (0026-4075) 166 (2001), 5; 419-421

Vrsta, podvrsta i kategorija rada
Radovi u časopisima, članak, stručni

Ključne riječi
Myocardial infarction; war; risk factors

Sažetak
The aim of this study was to determine the pattern of myocardial infarction (MI) incidence with regard to age, gender, infarction site, and the most important risk factors. All 3, 454 patients hospitalized in coronary care units of Clinical Hospital Split between 1989 and 1997 were analyzed. In the 3-year period preceding the war, from 1989 to 1991, 1, 024 patients were hospitalized because of MI. During the 3 years of full war activities, from 1992 to 1994, there were 1, 257 patients (significantly more ; p < 0.05). And in the 3-year period after the war, from 1995 to 1997, there were 1, 173 patients. In the war period, there were 151 (12%) patients younger than 45 years of age (p < 0.05) ; of that number, 143 (95%) were men (significantly more than in the other two periods ; p < 0.05) and 8 (5%) were women. In the period preceding the war, there were 66 (6.5%) patients younger than 45 years: 60 (91%) men and 6 (9%) women. In the period after the war, those numbers were 88 (7.5%), 81 (92%), and 7 (8%), respectively. The patients younger than 45 years (305) more often had MI of an inferior than an anterior site (49% vs. 28% ; p < 0.001), whereas there was no difference in patients older than 45 years (36% vs. 37% ; p > 0.05). The patients older than 45 years had significantly greater hospital mortality (21% vs. 4% ; p < 0.001) and were more likely to have hypertension (51% vs. 15% ; p < 0.001) as well as hypercholesterolemia (54% vs. 14% ; p < 0.001). Smokers prevailed among those younger than 45 years (75% vs. 51% ; p < 0.001). The number of hospitalized patients with MI was greatest during the war period. It included a significant increase in the incidence in men younger than 45 years (12% vs. 7% ; p < 0.05), with smoking as the most important risk factor, especially for infarctions of inferior sites.

Izvorni jezik
Engleski

Znanstvena područja
Kliničke medicinske znanosti

Časopis indeksira:


  • Current Contents Connect (CCC)
  • Web of Science Core Collection (WoSCC)
    • Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXP)
  • Scopus
  • MEDLINE