Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 204741

The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production


Kniewald, Jasna; Kniewald, Zlatko
The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production // Annual 2006 of the Croatian Academy of Engineering (2006) (znanstveni, prihvaćen)


Naslov
The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production

Autori
Kniewald, Jasna ; Kniewald, Zlatko

Vrsta, podvrsta
Radovi u časopisima, znanstveni

Izvornik
Annual 2006 of the Croatian Academy of Engineering (2006)

Status rada
Prihvaćen

Ključne riječi
Ocean environment; food production; effect of xebnobiotics

Sažetak
Oceans contain 97% of the earth's water while the other 3% is determined as freshwater. More than 70% of freshwater resources are stored in the ice and only 1% is a surface freshwater important for the human, animal and plants life, but also for the each day higher industry demands. On the other side, marine organisms are found in communities, groups of interacting producers, consumers and decomposers that share a common living space. Each species within the community has a particular habitat: a specific location that it occupies within the community and a specific role that it plays within the community. Every species requires a balance of particular physical and biological factors to exist and thrive. While organisms within a community compete with each other for space, food and other resources, they also depend upon one another in specific ways. The ecosystem, energy flow and nutrient cycling are prerequisites that provide sustainable environment within oceans, including solar energy, primary production (e.g. phytoplankton), herbivores (e.g. zooplankton), carnivores (e.g. fishes) and decomposers (different microbes e.g. bacteria). While the ecosystem is a closed circle, we have two types of water pollutants called point source and nonpoint source and both are extremely harmful to the ocean environment and water as a whole.

Izvorni jezik
Engleski

Znanstvena područja
Biotehnologija



POVEZANOST RADA


Projekt / tema
0058001
0058010

Ustanove
Prehrambeno-biotehnološki fakultet, Zagreb

Citiraj ovu publikaciju

Kniewald, Jasna; Kniewald, Zlatko
The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production // Annual 2006 of the Croatian Academy of Engineering (2006) (znanstveni, prihvaćen)
Kniewald, J. & Kniewald, Z. (2006) The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production. Prihvaćen za objavljivanje u Annual 2006 of the Croatian Academy of Engineering. [Preprint].
@unknown{unknown, year = {2006}, keywords = {ocean environment, food production, effect of xebnobiotics}, journal = {Annual 2006 of the Croatian Academy of Engineering}, title = {The Ocean and its Environment as a Source of Food Production}, keyword = {ocean environment, food production, effect of xebnobiotics} }