Napredna pretraga

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 123683

Effects of Inbreeding on Essential Hypertension


Janićijević, Branka; Rudan, Igor; Smolej-Narančić, Nina; Campbell, Hary; Carothers, Andrew; Wright, Alan; Rudan, Pavao
Effects of Inbreeding on Essential Hypertension // Inter-Congress of IUAES 2002, The Human Body in Anthropological Perspectives (Abstracts) / Omoto, Keiichi (ur.).
Tokyo: The Anthropological Society of Nippon, 2002. (predavanje, međunarodna recenzija, sažetak, znanstveni)


Naslov
Effects of Inbreeding on Essential Hypertension

Autori
Janićijević, Branka ; Rudan, Igor ; Smolej-Narančić, Nina ; Campbell, Hary ; Carothers, Andrew ; Wright, Alan ; Rudan, Pavao

Vrsta, podvrsta i kategorija rada
Sažeci sa skupova, sažetak, znanstveni

Izvornik
Inter-Congress of IUAES 2002, The Human Body in Anthropological Perspectives (Abstracts) / Omoto, Keiichi - Tokyo : The Anthropological Society of Nippon, 2002

Skup
Inter-Congress of IUAES 2002, The Human Body in Anthropological Perspectives

Mjesto i datum
Tokyo, Japan, 22-27.09.2002.

Vrsta sudjelovanja
Predavanje

Vrsta recenzije
Međunarodna recenzija

Ključne riječi
Hypertension; inbreeding; isolates; Croatia

Sažetak
Considerable uncertainty exists regarding the genetic architecture underlying human quantitative traits. The contribution of recessive alleles to human hypertension has been investigated by examining the effects of inbreeding on blood pressure (BP) as a quantitative trait in 2760 adult individuals from 25 villages within a Croatian island isolate. A strong linear relationship was found between the inbreeding coefficient (F) and both systolic and diastolic BP, indicating that recessive or partially recessive quantitative trait locus (QTL) alleles account for 10-15% of the total variation in BP in this population. An increase in F of 0.01 corresponded to an increase of approximately 3 mm Hg in systolic and 2 mm Hg in diastolic BP. Regression of F on BP indicated that at least several hundred (300-600) recessive QTL contribute to BP variability. A model of the distribution of locus effects suggests that the 8-16 QTL of largest effect together account for a maximum of 25% of the dominance variation, while the remaining 75% of the variation is mediated by QTL of very small effect, unlikely to be detectable using current technologies and sample sizes. Recent inbreeding accounts for 36% of all hypertension in this population. The global impact of inbreeding on hypertension may be substantial since, although inbreeding is declining in western societies, an estimated 1 billion people globally show rates of consanguineous marriages greater than 20%. In addition, the impact of inbreeding my be greater for late-onset than for early-onset traits.

Izvorni jezik
Engleski

Znanstvena područja
Kliničke medicinske znanosti, Etnologija i antropologija



POVEZANOST RADA


Projekt / tema
0108330
0196001
0196005

Ustanove
Medicinski fakultet, Zagreb,
Institut za antropologiju